Here's a quick review of the most
common year-end holiday hazards for your pet:
Small turkey and ham bones can lodge in the throat,
stomach and intestinal tract. In addition,
fats, gravies and poultry skin can cause severe
gastrointestinal problems. These problems include
pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas),
diarrhea and vomiting.
- Holiday Plants:
Holly, mistletoe, poinsettia and other popular
holiday plants can be toxic if eaten.
- Electrical Cords:
Holiday lights mean more electrical cord for kittens
and puppies to chew. Make sure all electrical
cords are in good condition and out of reach.
- Christmas Trees:
Poorly secured trees can fall on rambunctious pets.
- Pine Needles:
Ingested pine needles can puncture an animal's
- Christmas Tree Water:
Many of the additives used to keep Christmas trees
fresh can be toxic if consumed.
Holiday candy -- particularly pure chocolate, which
contains theobromine -- can be hazardous or even
fatal to pets.
Unattended alcoholic beverages can be extremely
dangerous if consumed by cats and dogs.
Sharp or breakable ornaments should be kept well out
of reach of curious paws and jaws.
- Tinsel, Yarn and Ribbon:
Linear foreign bodies can become stuck in an
animal's intestinal tract, causing a blockage or
perforating the intestinal wall.
of the staff at Four Paws Animal Hospital & Wellness
Center wish you and your pets a safe and happy holiday
Written by Dr. Kathy Kallay
(C) 2001, K. M. Kallay